December 2nd, 1898. Pigeon, Michigan. Leiprrandt Brothers to J. S. Duss.
[English letter; Letter is on letterhead from the Leipprandt Brothers store].
Pigeon Mich. Dec. 2 1898.
J. S. Duss
In reference to the German M. E. Society lots at Berne will say that these
lots were donated, at least we know that two were our beleave [sic, HARD TO READ
WORD] the other two were paid for.
[Endorsed receipt stamp] Dec 24 1898.
“The first school was conducted in the German M. E. church on the banks of the Pigeon River. Here Herman Roedel swayed the rod for a while. Then came Fannie Snell of Bay Port, a niece of J. and T. Snell’s, who taught one year. She was followed by Florence M. Morse (now Mrs. Richard Gwinn), who had charge for two years. During the second year, the district purchased the building from the M. E. society, and a church was built at Berne Corners.”
Pioneer history of Huron County, Michigan by Florence McKinnon Gwinn.
Lcipprandt Brothers – dealers in general merchandise, grain and produce buyers and dealers, gents clothes and groceries.
PigeonHistoricalSociety.com RECORDER, Spring 2016